- Evers announces $110 million education investment
- Dec 2, 12:04 PM: Gov. Tony Evers on Thursday announced a $110 million investment in education thanks to federal coronavirus relief funds.
- Wisconsin pandemic aid plan hasn’t gotten federal approval, leaving some school districts in limbo
- > Nov 30, 9:22 AM: In May, Republicans in charge of Wisconsin’s Joint Committee on Finance voted to send $114 million in federal stimulus money only to public schools that were open in-person for most of last school year. They said it was a
- Virtual schools see continued growth beyond pandemic reasons
- Nov 19, 7:36 AM: Virtual schools around north-central Wisconsin are hitting their enrollment caps and continuing to steadily grow.
- 95% of Wisconsin school districts met or exceeded expectations in latest state report cards
- > Nov 17, 7:31 AM: The number of public school districts that met, exceeded, or significantly exceeded expectations — about 95% of the state’s 421 districts — held steady last year despite major interruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic,
- Milwaukee Tool partners with charter school
- Nov 15, 7:35 AM: A Milwaukee charter school aiming to address a significant gap in minority achievement in sciences is now providing even more exposure to students thanks to a partnership with Milwaukee Tool.
- Legislation lets families who favor or oppose COVID-19 mandates switch schools
- Nov 11, 9:18 AM: Republicans in the Legislature have teed up a bill that uses COVID-19 mandates as a justification for temporarily loosening public school open-enrollment rules.
- Charter school in motion
- > Nov 1, 8:20 AM: By next year, Fremont will have a school within a school. A new charter school is being developed and its home will be in the Fremont Elementary School. It will be called the Fremont STEM Academy and will focus on science,
- Now-deleted Facebook post from Racine teachers' union regarding segregation sparks blowback
- > Oct 29, 7:42 AM: Following a congratulatory Facebook post by the Racine Unified School District to middle school girls’ basketball teams from Gifford and Jerstad-Agerholm for their respective successful seasons, Racine Educators United —
- After winning legal case to block it, Antigo School District agrees to sell vacant school to religious nonprofit
- > Oct 28, 8:18 AM: When Shepherd's Watch offered to buy the school, district leaders insisted on the provision that it would not be used as a school because of their concerns about declining enrollment, which means declining state funding.
- Enrollment in Wisconsin school districts dips; independent charters, voucher schools grow
- > Oct 18, 7:59 AM: After the COVID-19 pandemic caused a noticeable drop in enrollment last year, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction reported Friday a continued but smaller dip in the number of children attending public school
- School choice would allow parents to transfer kids over mask policies
- > Oct 15, 8:15 AM: The Senate Committee on Education on Thursday heard from lawmakers on Senate Bill 587, which would give parents the ability to send their kids to a new school based solely on a school district's coronavirus policy.
- Commentary: MPS must wake up to this reality: Parents are making a choice
Turning our backs on MPS is not the answer, nor is sitting quietly on the sidelines and hoping for a better outcome. Preparing all students to reach their potential is an indelible mark of a successful community. This >
Oct 7, 8:56 AM:
- During pandemic, number of high school seniors taking key step toward enrolling in college plummets
- > Sep 30, 8:01 AM: In a troubling sign of the pandemic’s impact on students' plans for higher education, a report from the Wisconsin Policy Forum shows less than half the state’s public high school seniors last year filled out federal
- Wisconsin Assembly voting on requiring civics education
- Sep 28, 8:54 AM: A statewide civics curriculum would be created that all Wisconsin public and private schools would have to follow under a Republican-authored bill up for approval Tuesday in the state Assembly.
- Online learning still a viable option for Milton and Janesville students
- > Sep 17, 8:37 AM: Konnor Fink, an eighth-grader enrolled in the ARISE Virtual Academy, an online learning option available to Janesville students for the past 15 years, has not been in a “traditional” school program since he started taking
- Falling public school enrollment means less money for schools, programs
- > Sep 17, 8:00 AM: The number of students attending Wisconsin public schools is expected to decline in the coming school year. School administrators and union representatives are concerned that the decline could lead to gaps in funding for
- ‘What are we waiting for?’: Teachers’ union urges Milwaukee to reinstate mask mandate
- > Sep 10, 11:24 AM: Calls for Milwaukee to reinstate its indoor mask mandate are getting louder. Some members of Common Council, the Milwaukee School Board and now the teachers' union are all pushing for the city to mask up again.
- High Demand For Wisconsin School Districts’ Virtual Options As Delta Drives COVID-19 Surge
- > Sep 3, 10:19 AM: With the number of new positive cases of COVID-19 on par with what Wisconsin was seeing last winter, parents and guardians are worried that the coronavirus is going back into the classroom along with their kids.
- Opinion: Control of MPS must be wrested from the school board and teachers union
- > Sep 2, 11:57 AM: Memo to state legislators: We are at the start of another school year and Milwaukee Public Schools continues to founder. It is of the utmost urgency that you do two things. Dismantle the MPS School Board, which continues
- Roughly 750 families apply for Madison School District’s virtual program for grades 4K-5
- Sep 1, 12:14 PM: About five times the number of students in grades 4K-5 the Madison Metropolitan School District was prepared to have in its last-minute virtual option applied for the program.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Daily Tribune 100%
- WMSN-ITV 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- HaywardWis.com 17%
- WFRV-TV - Online 17%