- Higher education working to provide more teachers
- > Oct 20, 8:34 AM: "We think that’s the key,” Peduto said of student teaching. “Because so many teachers ... drop out within the first three years. And it’s mostly because they don’t feel prepared. They haven’t learned the practical side of
- Meet the 4 who will likely get to decide whether charter schools open in WV
- > Oct 11, 9:26 AM: Four people get to decide which charter schools can open in West Virginia. The quartet is also tasked with helping to hold these schools accountable.Nobody voted for them. The governor appointed them. State senators will
- Lawsuit says charter schools shouldn’t be created without votes of the public
- Oct 4, 8:54 AM: Sam Brunett of Marion County and Robert McCloud of Kanawha County, both parents and educators, are suing the leaders of the West Virginia Senate and House of Delegates, as well as Gov. Jim Justice.
- West Virginia county school systems become one-to-one with students thanks to COVID-19 pandemic funding
- > Oct 4, 6:35 AM: Thanks to funding made available due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many West Virginia county school systems have achieved their goal of buying enough laptops or tablets to send one home with each student. However, there are
- Editorial: Is Nitro charter school about money or education?
- > Oct 1, 9:12 AM: By law, charter schools in West Virginia have to be nonprofits. Of course, that doesn’t mean businesses that make a killing on the charter model can’t be paid to run them. It also doesn’t mean those for-profit companies
- Huntington residents are trying to start a charter school in Nitro, 7 min from 1 of WV's 3 Blue Ribbon Schools
- > Sep 30, 8:26 AM: A for-profit education company is seeking to open a charter school in the shadow of one of West Virginia’s three 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools and draw students from a county that had the state’s second-highest math
- Charter school board getting $200K from W.Va. Department of Education
- Sep 22, 9:08 AM: The West Virginia Department of Education is providing $200000 in startup money to the still unstaffed state charter school approval board.
- Two brick-and-mortar charter schools proposed for local area
- > Sep 16, 9:36 AM: Of seven applicants looking to form charter schools in West Virginia, two submissions are to form brick-and-mortar locations in the Eastern Panhandle, and another three were submitted for virtual charter schooling,
- 7 charter schools seeking to open in WV, online and in Nitro, Cheat Lake, Eastern Panhandle
- Sep 8, 3:10 PM: Seven applicants are asking West Virginia’s new state-level charter school board to allow them to open, according to the board’s chairman.
- West Virginia to provide $150 back-to-school vouchers for vaccinated grandfamilies
- > Aug 31, 3:19 PM: West Virginia families, in which the grandparents are the primary providers for the children, will be eligible to receive $150 back-to-school vouchers if the grandparents and the children receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Virtual charter school applicant prepares to apply, while new review board gears up
- > Aug 27, 5:34 AM: As West Virginia’s newly-established Professional Charter School Board takes more steps to get organized, a private group called Mountain State Learning Solutions met to prepare its application to provide virtual charter
- State may have to defend charter schools
- > Aug 20, 3:29 PM: As West Virginia officials prepare to implement the nation’s most expansive education savings account program and the new state charter school board has its first meeting, the state may have to defend both programs in
- Possible Lawsuit Threatens Rollout of Charter Schools, Hope Scholarship in West Virginia
- > Aug 19, 4:48 PM: As West Virginia officials prepare to implement the nation’s most expansive education savings account program and the new state charter school board has its first meeting, the state may have to defend both programs in
- With Little Fanfare, West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice Appoints Charter School Board Members
- Aug 13, 11:57 AM: The list of appointees for a new statewide board that can authorize new public charter schools was released Thursday, with the group’s first meeting set for next week.
- West Virginia Academy, aiming to become state’s first charter school, accepting pre-registrations
- > Aug 10, 3:46 PM: The school, led by John Treu, was founded nearly two years ago as a nonprofit institution. Plans are still being finalized, but West Virginia Academy will either be the first charter school in the state, or a nonprofit
- W.Va. Schools Tackle Summer Learning With Fun, Innovation To Get Kids Back On Track
- > Jul 29, 3:34 PM: In the fall of 2020, one-third of K-12 children in West Virginia failed at least one core subject, according to the West Virginia Department of Education. Officials said this was due to the inconsistencies in learning
- What is the Hope Scholarship?
- > Jul 20, 2:20 PM: According to Moore, the Hope Scholarship Program is an education savings account that allows parents to receive $4,600 per-pupil state funding already set aside for their children’s education onto an electronic,
- No virtual-only learning option this fall
- > Jul 16, 10:57 AM: There will be no virtual-only instruction for Garrett County students in the coming school year, the board of education was told Tuesday. However, a survey of the at-home students determined there is little interest in
- Editorial: Online charter schools get chance to prove their worth in WV
- > Jul 16, 10:42 AM: For years, West Virginians have complained about the quality of their public schools. Whether those complaints are justified, given the nature of West Virginia culture and the state’s lack of affluence as compared with
- Judge grants unions’ injunction over ‘Paycheck Protection Act’ as it was about to go into effect
- Jun 15, 7:52 AM: A Kanawha Circuit judge put a halt to a new state law that forbids employers from deducting union dues from public employees’ paychecks.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph - Online 100%
- Wetzel Chronicle - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Wheeling News-Register - Online 8%
- Mountain Statesman 17%