- West Virginia Academy among schools affected by latest charter school ruling
- Dec 22, 8:59 AM: An injunction by a Kanawah County judge blocking charter school approval could affect the way West Virginia Academy opens in Fall 2022.
- Temporary injunction now halts West Virginia’s method for establishing charter schools
- > Dec 21, 9:18 AM: A Kanawha circuit judge has granted a temporary injunction on West Virginia’s newest method for approving charter schools, saying a constitutional challenge stands a good chance of succeeding in the long term. “There’s no
- Judge sets hearing to provide more answers about charter schools injunction
- > Dec 20, 8:18 AM: Judge Jennifer Bailey is weighing a temporary injunction request by parents and educators who say the state’s method of approving charter schools is unconstitutional. At the end of a hearing last week, Bailey had indicated
- Judge to rule on charter school lawsuit
- Dec 15, 9:45 AM: The pair is challenging the constitutionality over charter school rollouts across the state, wanting taxpayers to have an opportunity to vote on any charter school created in their county.
- Judge will decide whether to block new way of approving charter schools
- > Dec 14, 9:33 AM: Kanawha Circuit Judge Jennifer Bailey will hear consider a request for preliminary injunction at 1 p.m. Tuesday in a case that questions whether the state’s method for authorizing charter schools is constitutional.
- Preston County Schools must advertise charter school
- Dec 13, 8:52 AM: Rhe Preston County Board of Education on Monday instructed the superintendent to publicize the West Virginia Academy in the same manner as other schools.
- In lawsuit, W.Va. officials say authorizing charter schools is no constitutional runaround
- > Dec 6, 8:50 AM: West Virginia government leaders contend a new path to approve charter schools does not circumvent the state Constitution.The legal question is whether allowing a new Professional Charter Schools Board to approve new
- Editorial: Despite misgivings, charter schools are worth a try
- > Nov 24, 7:22 AM: Public schools have failed so badly at times that the state has had to take over county systems. There are no guarantees charter schools will be better than public schools, and there are no guarantees they will be worse.
- Va court dissolves injunction in paycheck union dues suit
- Nov 23, 6:57 AM: West Virginia’s Supreme Court on Monday gave a temporary setback to labor groups who challenged a new law prohibiting union dues or fees from being withheld from state employee paychecks.
- Two Statewide Virtual Charter Schools Are Approved By W.Va. Charter Board
- > Nov 18, 6:31 AM: The state’s charter school board approved West Virginia’s first virtual charter schools on Wednesday. The news comes exactly one week after the board approved West Virginia’s first brick-and-mortar charters.
- One of West Virginia’s first three charter schools to open in Morgantown
- Nov 17, 9:55 AM: The West Virginia Professional Charter Board approved the first three charter schools in the state and one was in Morgantown.
- West Virginia Board OKs First Charter Schools Under Lawsuit Cloud
- Nov 11, 9:30 AM: Nearly two years after Republican lawmakers approved a pilot program, the first public charter schools in West Virginia were approved Wednesday while a lawsuit attempting to halt the program is pending.
- No ‘deficiencies’ identified for any charter school, though questions remain
- Nov 10, 9:44 AM: The state Professional Charter School Board's chairman says none of the applications to start West Virginia's first charter schools “have any identified deficiencies".
- No 'deficiencies' identified for any charter school, though questions remain
- Nov 10, 8:48 AM: The state Professional Charter School Board's chairman says none of the applications to start West Virginia's first charter schools “have any identified deficiencies"
- One company applies to run half of WV’s first charter schools
- > Nov 8, 10:23 AM: Accel Schools says it serves schools in seven states. West Virginia could be the eighth. The fast-expanding charter school management company’s name is on half of the six applications to open charters in West Virginia.
- Mon teacher sues the state over charter school process
- > Nov 8, 10:20 AM: Sam Brunett broke it down into one concise sentence last week. It's not charter schools in general — nor is it the West Virginia Academy in particular, he said.For Brunett, an art teacher at Morgantown High and longtime
- W.Va. Supreme Court justices hear arguments on whether new law targets labor unions
- > Oct 28, 9:30 AM: More than a dozen labor unions on Tuesday asked the West Virginia Supreme Court to overturn legislation passed in the 2021 regular session of the Legislature the unions contend is deliberately intended to single them out
- Commentary: WV Unions Push Back Against the GOP
- > Oct 27, 8:21 AM: The West Virginia Supreme Court is considering whether to uphold a lower court order prohibiting the state’s Paycheck Protection law from going into effect. The law specifically prohibits state and local governments from
- Senate approves appointments to WV charter school board
- > Oct 21, 6:27 AM: The West Virginia Senate voted without dissent or discussion Wednesday to confirm Gov. Jim Justice’s 149 appointments to various jobs and boards, including the West Virginia Professional Charter School Board and the
- WVa teachers union sues county over COVID-19 school policies
- > Oct 20, 8:39 AM: The West Virginia Education Association filed the lawsuit Monday against the Putnam County Board of Education. The lawsuit, which seeks a preliminary injunction, claims the board’s policies on contact tracing, masks,
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bluefield Daily Telegraph - Online 100%
- Wetzel Chronicle - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Wheeling News-Register - Online 8%
- Mountain Statesman 17%