- State of Texas: Abbott pledge to push for school choice brings praise, concern
- > May 16, 9:48 AM: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s renewed push for school vouchers is a piece of his “parental rights” platform, which itself could be a signal of future political aspirations, according to a political science and communication
- Opinion: Pause HISD’s plan to centralize school funding
- > Mar 31, 8:02 AM: Houston’s school board needs to take the time the city deserves to see if consolidating budget power back to the top is the right way to go. As such, we respectfully call for the board to stand up for the community and
- Austin ISD seeks partnership with charter operator to turn around Mendez Middle School
- Mar 30, 8:18 AM: District leaders have used a state law that gives districts a pause from state penalties if they partner with a charter school or another entity to turn around.
- Texas schools won’t lose funding for attendance drops during the pandemic
- Mar 30, 7:56 AM: In Texas, schools are funded based on the number of students enrolled and the daily attendance on campus.
- Texas governor race: Beto O'Rourke makes push for education reform at town hall in El Paso
- > Mar 29, 6:21 AM: Texas gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke discussed his vision for education reform Sunday at a town hall meeting at the El Paso Community Foundation as part of his ongoing “People of Texas” state tour.
- Charter school's partnership sends teachers back to college
- > Mar 25, 8:23 AM: Special education teacher Lisa Hoyles-Taylor and pre-K teacher Tabatha Griffith had dreamed of earning their master’s degrees, but neither could take the time away from their work at a local charter school or their
- Opinion: Hispanic Texans aren’t getting behind progressive policies
- > Mar 23, 5:09 AM: On some issues, survey responses aligned overwhelmingly with Republican causes. For instance, 78% of Hispanics surveyed said they strongly or somewhat support school choice. And not just charter schools; the way that
- Opinion: One silver lining in the cloud of pandemic schooling: support for school choice is soaring
- > Mar 21, 5:38 AM: If you’ve paid any attention to the very public, very divisive debates over school administration, policy, curricula and academic outcomes — in Fort Worth, Southlake and several other parts of the country — you know that
- Texas is studying its chronic teacher shortages, but some experts already have a fix: Pay them more
- Mar 15, 9:31 AM: As the Texas Education Agency studies chronic teacher shortages in Texas, experts say teachers need better pay, not just easier ways into the profession.
- Texas school using private room with massage chairs to prevent teacher burnout
- Mar 9, 9:53 AM: The new space features multiple massage chairs, yoga mats and a private restroom. It was funded through a $21,000 grant from the American Federation of Teachers.
- Beto O’Rourke pledges to increase school funding, fight vouchers during Dallas campaign stop
- > Mar 8, 9:38 AM: O’Rourke pledged support for teacher pay increases and more money for public schools while pushing back on the renewal of voucher efforts in the state as he gave a sweeping overview of his policy ambitions.
- Gov. Greg Abbott wants task force to examine state teacher shortage
- Mar 8, 9:20 AM: Teaching demands during the pandemic have exacerbated the nation’s teacher shortage. Abbott wants a task force to investigate.
- Dallas ISD’s ‘State Of The District’ Showcases Urban School Success
- > Mar 7, 7:36 AM: Dallas ISD is back with its annual State of the District, an event that is part celebration, part report card for the community, but also a plea for North Texans to rethink what’s possible in urban public schools.
- San Antonio nonprofit organization helps parents navigate charter school process
- Mar 7, 7:15 AM: Some San Antonio school districts have several charter schools. In fact, SAISD has an entire section of its website devoted to in-district charter school programs.
- DISD’s pre-kindergarten enrollment starting to rebound after plunging during pandemic
- Feb 28, 8:23 AM: After being dealt a blow by the coronavirus pandemic, pre-kindergarten enrollment in Dallas ISD has started to rebound.
- Texas teacher group criticize big money for pro-charter school candidate
- Feb 25, 9:51 AM: A Texas teachers union slammed a PAC for funneling big money to a pro-charter school candidate running for the State Board of Education.
- Dallas ISD to launch 13 new choice schools next school year
- Feb 25, 8:54 AM: Dallas ISD is continuing to scale innovation as it announces the launch of 13 new choice schools for next school year.
- Texas now requires new charter schools to ensure they won’t teach critical race theory
- > Feb 18, 9:03 AM: The Texas Education Agency confirmed this week it now requires new charter schools to submit a "statement of assurance" that the school will follow so-called “critical race theory” laws before opening its doors to the
- Many Black, Latino students graduating in Texas’ top 10% aren’t enrolling in college
- Feb 17, 8:56 AM: Despite automatic admissions, officials worry too many students aren’t seeking higher education. This might be why.
- Potential teacher certification requirement faces pushback from Texas teaching organizations
- Feb 15, 9:52 AM: A controversial new certification requirement for new Texas teachers is set for a vote by the State Board of Education this summer.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- NewsWest9.com 92%
- Temple Daily Telegram 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Marble Falls Highlander - Online 17%
- Abilene Reporter-News - Online / Associated Press 17%