- SC teachers say unmanageable workload, lack of respect driving exodus
- > Dec 6, 9:07 AM: In addition to workload problems, teachers said that they feel like they’ve lost parents’ support. Tiffany Dorris, a former eighth grade English teacher at Dorchester School District Two, said that parents’ recent attitude
- 'Part of the change': Liberty STEAM Charter Executive Director Khalil Graham wants school to be ‘spark’ for area education
From high school dropout to promoting excellence as a standard in K-12 education. From poverty and rough neighborhoods in Brooklyn, New York, to creating opportunities for students.
Nov 30, 7:47 AM:
- Waitlist grows for Lowcountry families during school enrollment freeze
- Nov 29, 8:50 AM: The Lowcountry’s only public charter school for kids with learning disabilities has been unable to accept students for nearly two months after being notified it failed to meet requirements.
- Virtual tutoring now available for South Carolina students
- > Nov 23, 7:24 AM: COVID-19 has had an impact on student learning in South Carolina, with schools going virtual for most of the 2020-21 school year and the beginning of the 2021-22 school year. Parents having to deal with at-home virtual
- School choice advocate announces run for SC superintendent of education
- > Nov 22, 7:13 AM: Ellen Weaver, president and CEO of the Palmetto Promise Institute and chairman of the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee, announced her candidacy Sunday in an editorial published in The State newspaper.
- Greenville nonprofit in the running for $1 million 'education innovation' prize
- Nov 17, 10:36 AM: A goal of COS was to "flip the script for minority and low-income children; to not only prevent them from falling behind in school, but to empower them to excel," a report on the program said.
- Charter school group that has paid millions to founder’s companies expands to SC
- Nov 17, 10:10 AM: An Arizona-based charter school group that has faced scrutiny over its founder’s business dealings is expanding to South Carolina.
- Editorial: SC charter schools are complicated. Parents need to read the instructions.
- > Nov 16, 7:35 AM: Less obvious to too many parents is where that flexibility comes from and how broad it is: In addition to being able to ignore all those state regulations that parents want them to ignore, charter schools also may ignore
- SCVCS test scores highest among virtual schools in South Carolina
- > Nov 12, 9:03 AM: South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) students saw exceptional levels of performance during South Carolina State Testing for the 2020-2021 academic school year. Total combined scores for students ranks SCVCS as the
- Ex-Jim DeMint aide, SC school choice advocate considering run for education superintendent
- > Nov 1, 5:40 AM: Ellen Weaver, president of the conservative think tank Palmetto Promise Institute who also chairs the Education Oversight Committee and is on the board of the Governor’s School for Arts and Humanities, said she’s been
- South Carolina Superintendent of Education Molly Spearman says she won't seek reelection
- Oct 28, 5:47 AM: Molly Spearman, South Carolina’s superintendent since 2015, announced Wednesday morning that she would not be seeking a third four-term as the leader of the South Carolina Department of Education.
- Governor McMaster speaks at conference honoring charter school partners
- > Sep 30, 8:13 AM: Governor Henry McMaster joined multiple motivating speakers at the first Kids First Conference Wednesday afternoon. The conference was created partly by the South Carolina Public Charter School District to honor and
- Some Elmwood Park residents against Clear Dot Charter School development plans
- Sep 30, 8:09 AM: Many Elmwood Park residents are upset and against the Clear Dot Charter School development proposal; the main reason for opposition is traffic.
- Local charter school sees enrollment jump amid pandemic
- Sep 30, 7:59 AM: Mountain Island Charter School is growing, just like a host of charter schools across the country — many of which have experienced their biggest enrollment jumps in years during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- SC public online schools say interest in virtual programs likely to remain high after pandemic
- Sep 28, 8:46 AM: Officials say interest in online virtual schools in South Carolina hit new highs at the start of the 2020-21 school year.
- South Carolina lawmakers believe bill could make school choice more affordable
- Sep 24, 8:19 AM: Would create Education Scholarship Accounts to help parents pay for tuition, transportation, other services
- Survey reveals parents interested in virtual learning options in Lancaster County
- Sep 24, 8:18 AM: The Lancaster County School District revealed the results of a virtual-learning survey during a board meeting Tuesday evening.
- Spartanburg's Green Charter School outperforms SC school report card state average
- > Sep 23, 8:43 AM: She found GREEN Charter School (GCSS) in Spartanburg. GCSS opened their doors in 2019 with just 250 students. Due to the school’s small class sizes, they were not operating on a hybrid schedule, but were face-to-face, 5
- North Charleston charter school reports high student engagement amid pandemic
- Sep 22, 9:11 AM: Lowcountry Acceleration Academy is reporting strong student engagement this month amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CCSD will send mask-less students home for virtual learning starting Wednesday
- Sep 22, 8:56 AM: Starting Wednesday morning, students will be turned away from their Charleston County School District school if they do not wear a mask.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Tribune-Times - Online 83%
- People Sentinel - Online, The 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Chronicle-Independent - Online 0%
- Item - Online, The 0%