- Petition for ‘voucher style’ school scholarship system approved by state board
- > Dec 1, 7:25 AM: The Michigan Board of State Canvassers approved two petition summaries allowing the creation of so-called “Opportunity Scholarships” that would allow donors to get tax breaks on donations toward nonpublic education.
- Panel OKs petitions creating student scholarships that opponents say amount to vouchers
- > Nov 30, 6:56 AM: An effort to create a controversial education scholarship program giving contributors a tax break on donations could start collecting signatures in the next week or two after winning technical approvals Mondayfrom the
- Blaine Fights Back
- Nov 23, 9:59 AM: Michigan families sue, seeking the ability to use their 529 savings accounts to pay for tuition at private religious schools.
- How Grand Rapids Public Schools is spending $723K to recruit students amid decades-long enrollment decline
- Nov 17, 7:09 AM: Grand Rapids Pubic Schools is investing hundreds of thousands of federal relief dollars into student recruitment and retention efforts in an effort to turn around a decades-long enrollment decline.
- Some Kalamazoo students to remain virtual due to lack of in-person learning space
- Nov 16, 6:15 AM: For the upcoming second semester, Kalamazoo Public Schools received more than 100 requests for students to return to in-person learning.
- Michigan community college enrollment is dwindling. Apprenticeships 1 of many competitors for students.
- Nov 15, 6:25 AM: Sylwia Sokolowski faced the classic question as she neared the end of high school. Do I go to work or do I go to college?
- Winthrop teachers’ union members plead for school closure
- > Nov 11, 9:20 AM: After the Winthrop School Committee opted to cancel school for the two days before Thanksgiving break, the Winthrop Education Association said Wednesday that its members don't think that's enough to slow the rapid spread
- New 'classical' charter school in Peterborough gains state approval
- Nov 11, 9:16 AM: A new public charter school affiliated with a private, conservative college in Michigan plans to open in Peterborough next fall and offer a "classical education" focused on liberal arts and sciences.
- School Voucher Supporters Hope to Get Around Whitmer’s Veto
- > Nov 9, 8:54 AM: The new group Let MI Kids Learn is planning a petition initiative, which could send its proposal to the Republican-controlled state Legislature if it gets about 340,000 valid signatures. If the Legislature passes the
- Whitmer vetoes education scholarship bills she likens to vouchers
- > Nov 8, 10:25 AM: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has vetoed two bills that would create an education scholarship program that would give contributors a tax break on donations that could be used for a variety of education services, including private
- Staffing shortages related to COVID-19 forces Grand Rapids high school to go virtual for a week
- Nov 5, 5:58 AM: The Grand Rapids high school switched to online-only on Thursday, Nov. 4, and will remain virtual through Nov. 10, according to a Wednesday letter from Principal Stephanie Davis to families.
- Parents worried about virtual learning again becoming the norm
- Nov 5, 5:35 AM: With the closure of a second school in Ingham County because of a COVID-19 outbreak, parents and students are concerned the days of virtual learning could become a reality once again.
- GOP launches school voucher ballot drive
- Nov 3, 5:59 AM: Republicans launched a ballot drive Monday to create a school voucher-style system that would use public tax dollars to fund private education ahead of an expected veto from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
- Review & Outlook: School Choice Showdown in Michigan
- > Nov 2, 8:48 AM: This has been a banner year for school choice across much of the U.S., and Michigan is the latest state to advance the cause. The GOP-led Legislature last week passed choice legislation that will force Democratic Gov.
- More than 100 virtual Kalamazoo Public School students shifting to in-person learning
- Nov 1, 8:11 AM: More than 100 Kalamazoo Public School students are switching from virtual back to in-person learning for the district’s second trimester, according to a district spokesperson.
- Michigan Catholic Conference: Whitmer Ought to Back School Choice Bill, Not Veto It
- Oct 28, 9:50 AM: "Parents are the primary educators and have the right to determine which school is best for their children,” Hickson said.
- Michigan’s Legislature Passed a School Choice Initiative, but Supporters Fear Governor’s Veto – Opinion
- > Oct 26, 5:33 AM: Rather than absorb some of that excess funding into the already-bloated public school apparatus—where, experience shows, there is no guarantee it will be of any help to students—Michigan should take a chance on a radical
- Michigan's governor should follow Pennsylvania's on school choice expansions
- Oct 25, 9:12 AM: In the year of education choice, Pennsylvania has the largest school choice increase signed by a Democratic governor. Wolf must be a true school choice champion, right? Sadly, the opposite is true.
- School voucher advocates face opposition as they try to gain momentum
- Oct 22, 9:10 AM: Supporters of school choice are battling on two fronts to open the door to school vouchers in Michigan. They’ve taken their fight to both the courts and the state Legislature in a renewed push.
- Michigan Gov. Whitmer expected to veto GOP-backed school choice bill
- > Oct 21, 6:09 AM: Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is expected to veto legislation driven by Republicans in the state that would allow children to qualify for scholarships to attend private schools, with educational expenses such as tutoring
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bay City Times 100%
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Ludington Daily News - Online 0%