- Opinion: Maryland school districts are harming children when they close their doors
- > Dec 28, 10:43 AM: The announcement of new school closures, after all the evidence showing schools can manage coronavirus outbreaks, demonstrates that our school district leaders continue to view public education as a nonessential service.
- Maryland parents frustrated after schools suddenly revert to virtual learning
- > Dec 22, 7:34 AM: Nikki Weiss’ son is a first grader at Yorktown Elementary in Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland. He is home now trying to do virtual learning. Sharing several pictures sharing how it's going so far, she says, "not
- Baltimore County school leaders warn staff, students to prepare for closures; extracurriculars, sports games suspended
- > Dec 21, 7:25 AM: As COVID-19 cases continue to rise around the state, Maryland State Department of Education officials announced Monday that they would only support a local school system’s transition to online learning “under the most
- Gov. Hogan Says Temporary Return to Virtual Learning in Prince George's is ‘Terrible Mistake'
- Dec 20, 8:10 AM: Gov. Larry Hogan said that while local school jurisdictions hold the power to make such choices, it's not one he agrees with.
- Maryland can’t bar Christian school from voucher program over beliefs on sexuality, judge rules
- > Dec 14, 7:10 AM: A federal judge has ruled that Maryland unlawfully discriminated against a Christian school due to its traditional views on marriage and gender identity when the state denied it access to a voucher program.
- Data shows stark decline in Maryland student expectations after virtual learning
- Dec 14, 6:48 AM: Since all Maryland schools returned to classrooms at the start of this semester 7News has sought data to document the suspected learning loss brought on by virtual learning.
- It's a go: Frederick school board officially approves environmental charter school in Sabillasville
- Dec 9, 6:22 AM: On Wednesday, for the third time in recent months, Alisha Yocum found herself crying happy tears outside of a Frederick County Board of Education meeting.
- Maryland gubernatorial candidate John King wades into education controversy with new ad campaign
- Dec 6, 9:15 AM: Democratic gubernatorial candidate John King is wading into the hot-button issue of teaching the history of racism in schools with a new video ad campaign.
- Carroll County private school, homeschooling numbers increase this school year
- > Dec 6, 7:28 AM: The enrollment numbers for private schools and home schooling in Carroll County are growing after hundreds of students left the public schools last school year. Not only are families staying at private schools and at home,
- Opinion: Fixing Baltimore’s schools: A model
- Nov 29, 6:43 AM: Baltimore City’s public school system is clearly broken. But what would repairing and rebuilding education in the city look like?
- Sabillasville Elementary School To Become Charter School
- > Nov 24, 8:04 AM: There’s new life for the Sabillasville Elementary School building. During Monday’s meeting, the Frederick County Board of Education decided to make it a charter school. Sabillasville Environmental School will have a
- Anne Arundel schools will dismiss early Dec. 23, group to study other changes
- Nov 19, 7:14 AM: Last week, Anne Arundel Public Schools Superintendent George Arlotto proposed adding three early dismissal days to the calendar to allow teachers and students to focus on wellness, he said in a statement.
- ‘No End In Sight’: Bus Driver Shortage Continues To Present Problems For Maryland Parents
- > Nov 12, 9:44 AM: A presentation Wednesday during the Maryland House Ways and Means and Transportation committees notes up to 20% of routes in the state are not covered on a daily basis. Drivers have told WJZ they want fair pay.
- Montgomery County teachers union warning of a ‘great resignation’
- Nov 10, 9:50 AM: Montgomery County Education Association President Jennifer Martin is warning the Maryland school system is facing a “great resignation” if staffing shortages aren’t addressed.
- FCPS teachers continue to hone the virtual learning experience with new program
- > Nov 1, 8:07 AM: Almost 1,200 students across Frederick County Public Schools are enrolled in the system’s new Blended Virtual Program this year. Their teachers are scattered across the county, camped out in home offices, vacant classrooms
- Teachers protest staffing shortages in Maryland school system
- > Oct 28, 9:20 AM: Amid the staffing shortages, educators say they are being tapped to cover other classes during their lunch and planning periods. They say they get less support from principals, who are tasked with public health duties
- High school dropouts: Remote learning during covid put Baltimore students at risk
- > Oct 18, 9:45 AM: At 8 a.m. on the last Monday in August, when he would normally have been asleep, Corey Byrd stepped aboard a city bus that creaked to a stop across the street from his grandmother’s West Baltimore rowhouse. He sat near an
- Commentary: Republican legislators: Maryland General Assembly culpable for Baltimore’s public school failures
- > Oct 8, 6:01 AM: Every week, it seems, we are hit with yet another headline outlining the latest examples of corruption in the Baltimore City Public School System, which has been failing a tragically large swath of Baltimore’s children for
- EDITORIAL: Baltimore’s ‘ghost’ students show need for school choice
- Sep 20, 9:22 AM: What happened in Baltimore recently is an extreme example of why blindly throwing money into a broken education system won’t increase student achievement.
- School board conditionally approves charter for Sabillasville Environmental School
- > Sep 9, 1:58 PM: After a lengthy discussion that community members watched with bated breath, the Frederick County Board of Education on Wednesday voted to conditionally approve a charter for the new Sabillasville Environmental School.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%