- Study shows decrease in students' learning proficiency
- Mar 31, 9:04 AM: Since the start of the pandemic, educators have been concerned about how the massive disruptions to in-person learning caused by social distancing measures may have hurt student learning.
- Fed Up, These Parents Sue Baltimore Public Schools
- > Mar 31, 6:12 AM: As in so many other places around the country, the public education system in Baltimore is failing the city’s children. Public schools have been failing American students for decades, but the issue is pronounced in
- Testing shows massive learning loss for Maryland students
- Mar 11, 7:38 AM: The most recent state test scores show Maryland students experienced a stunning amount of learning loss from the COVID-19 shutdowns.
- Homeschooling, private school enrollment increase as public enrollment decreases
- > Mar 9, 9:17 AM: As a grassroots, volunteer-based organization that connects homeschoolers across the state, the Maryland Homeschool Association has been tracking data collected by the state education department on homeschooling rates for
- Maryland’s $3.8 billion ‘Blueprint’ plan for educational reform hits early funding, timeline snags
- > Feb 18, 7:10 AM: The sweeping 10-year plan to overhaul the state’s educational system known as the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future is hitting delays and experiencing funding disputes as state leaders begin to roll it out.
- Montgomery County votes to hire its first Black woman as superintendent
- > Feb 9, 9:37 AM: Montgomery County voted to hire its first woman as schools superintendent — an African American educator who was a leader during the pandemic — a milestone in Maryland’s largest school system and another marker of its
- Maryland’s 24 superintendents steered public education during a pandemic. A third may not return next year.
- > Feb 8, 9:05 AM: Calvert County schools superintendent Daniel Curry felt a familiar sensation last summer, after the first full school year of the coronavirus pandemic wound to a close and the summer months stretched ahead of him: It was
- 77% tested at Baltimore high school read at elementary level, some at kindergarten level
- Feb 2, 9:48 AM: "Our children deserve better. They really do,” the Patterson High School teacher told Project Baltimore. “As a whole, the system has failed them."
- Carroll County school board discusses expanding world languages classes by offering virtual instruction
- > Feb 1, 9:29 AM: Carroll County Public Schools currently offers five world languages to high school students: American Sign Language, French, German, Latin and Spanish, but no county students actually have the option of choosing from all
- 'Don't take the choice away': Md. parents rally to keep virtual learning as an option
- Jan 27, 7:00 AM: "I think you give parents a choice. I think that’s the bottom line. You don’t take the choice away from parents on how to protect their children,” says Wood.
- Student attendance down at Maryland public schools while enrollment numbers fall due to the pandemic
- Jan 26, 7:05 AM: Student attendance has dropped at Maryland’s public schools this year as system leaders continue to grapple with enrollment losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 16 Montgomery County Schools Moving Back to Virtual Learning
- Jan 19, 6:52 AM: More public schools in Montgomery County soon will transition back to virtual learning as COVID-19 cases continue to hinder school operations.
- ‘Did the right thing’: Prince George’s Co. students to return to classrooms
- > Jan 18, 7:18 AM: On Tuesday, Prince George’s County students will return to the classroom for the first time in nearly a month. In December, school system CEO Monica Goldson announced a plan that included a temporary transition to virtual
- Montgomery Co. Public Schools teacher’s union votes no confidence; council holding emergency session
- > Jan 14, 9:36 AM: The Montgomery County Education Association, which represents thousands of Montgomery County Public School teachers, announced on Thursday that out of nearly 7,000 members voting in a day, around 94% voted "no confidence"
- Montgomery Co. parents raise concerns about school system’s COVID response
- > Jan 10, 8:56 AM: Montgomery County Public Schools discarded its formula for deciding when the school system turns to virtual learning. Sunday, some parents, students and teachers urged the school system to not bring students back to class
- 115 more Montgomery County schools hit ‘red’ covid levels
- > Jan 6, 9:29 AM: More than 125 public schools in Montgomery County have hit “red” levels of coronavirus infection and could be switched to virtual learning — a jump in cases that has alarmed parents and teachers across Maryland’s largest
- Eleven Montgomery County schools hit ‘red’ covid levels, move online
- > Jan 5, 9:10 AM: With coronavirus cases surging, in-person learning was suspended Tuesday at 11 public schools in suburban Montgomery County, with another 89 schools at risk for similar action, in the district’s first significant detour
- Opinion: Maryland school districts are harming children when they close their doors
- > Dec 28, 10:43 AM: The announcement of new school closures, after all the evidence showing schools can manage coronavirus outbreaks, demonstrates that our school district leaders continue to view public education as a nonessential service.
- Maryland parents frustrated after schools suddenly revert to virtual learning
- > Dec 22, 7:34 AM: Nikki Weiss’ son is a first grader at Yorktown Elementary in Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland. He is home now trying to do virtual learning. Sharing several pictures sharing how it's going so far, she says, "not
- Baltimore County school leaders warn staff, students to prepare for closures; extracurriculars, sports games suspended
- > Dec 21, 7:25 AM: As COVID-19 cases continue to rise around the state, Maryland State Department of Education officials announced Monday that they would only support a local school system’s transition to online learning “under the most
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%