- Maryland gubernatorial candidate John King wades into education controversy with new ad campaign
- Dec 6, 9:15 AM: Democratic gubernatorial candidate John King is wading into the hot-button issue of teaching the history of racism in schools with a new video ad campaign.
- Carroll County private school, homeschooling numbers increase this school year
- > Dec 6, 7:28 AM: The enrollment numbers for private schools and home schooling in Carroll County are growing after hundreds of students left the public schools last school year. Not only are families staying at private schools and at home,
- Opinion: Fixing Baltimore’s schools: A model
- Nov 29, 6:43 AM: Baltimore City’s public school system is clearly broken. But what would repairing and rebuilding education in the city look like?
- Sabillasville Elementary School To Become Charter School
- > Nov 24, 8:04 AM: There’s new life for the Sabillasville Elementary School building. During Monday’s meeting, the Frederick County Board of Education decided to make it a charter school. Sabillasville Environmental School will have a
- Anne Arundel schools will dismiss early Dec. 23, group to study other changes
- Nov 19, 7:14 AM: Last week, Anne Arundel Public Schools Superintendent George Arlotto proposed adding three early dismissal days to the calendar to allow teachers and students to focus on wellness, he said in a statement.
- ‘No End In Sight’: Bus Driver Shortage Continues To Present Problems For Maryland Parents
- > Nov 12, 9:44 AM: A presentation Wednesday during the Maryland House Ways and Means and Transportation committees notes up to 20% of routes in the state are not covered on a daily basis. Drivers have told WJZ they want fair pay.
- Montgomery County teachers union warning of a ‘great resignation’
- Nov 10, 9:50 AM: Montgomery County Education Association President Jennifer Martin is warning the Maryland school system is facing a “great resignation” if staffing shortages aren’t addressed.
- FCPS teachers continue to hone the virtual learning experience with new program
- > Nov 1, 8:07 AM: Almost 1,200 students across Frederick County Public Schools are enrolled in the system’s new Blended Virtual Program this year. Their teachers are scattered across the county, camped out in home offices, vacant classrooms
- Teachers protest staffing shortages in Maryland school system
- > Oct 28, 9:20 AM: Amid the staffing shortages, educators say they are being tapped to cover other classes during their lunch and planning periods. They say they get less support from principals, who are tasked with public health duties
- High school dropouts: Remote learning during covid put Baltimore students at risk
- > Oct 18, 9:45 AM: At 8 a.m. on the last Monday in August, when he would normally have been asleep, Corey Byrd stepped aboard a city bus that creaked to a stop across the street from his grandmother’s West Baltimore rowhouse. He sat near an
- Commentary: Republican legislators: Maryland General Assembly culpable for Baltimore’s public school failures
- > Oct 8, 6:01 AM: Every week, it seems, we are hit with yet another headline outlining the latest examples of corruption in the Baltimore City Public School System, which has been failing a tragically large swath of Baltimore’s children for
- EDITORIAL: Baltimore’s ‘ghost’ students show need for school choice
- Sep 20, 9:22 AM: What happened in Baltimore recently is an extreme example of why blindly throwing money into a broken education system won’t increase student achievement.
- School board conditionally approves charter for Sabillasville Environmental School
- > Sep 9, 1:58 PM: After a lengthy discussion that community members watched with bated breath, the Frederick County Board of Education on Wednesday voted to conditionally approve a charter for the new Sabillasville Environmental School.
- As Sabillasville charter school vote looms, community leaders reflect on ‘emotional roller coaster’
- > Sep 8, 3:07 PM: A graduate of the school and the current president of its Parent Teacher Organization, Yocum has become the de facto face of Sabillasville’s fight. And her hundreds of hours of late-night research eventually yielded one
- Probe reveals fraud at Baltimore school
- > Sep 7, 3:39 PM: A two-year Baltimore City school system investigation has found that administrators at one city high school schemed to inflate enrollment, pressured teachers to change grades and scheduled students into classes that didn’t
- Nominees to Education Reform Oversight Panel Named
- > Sep 2, 11:59 AM: A nominating committee announced nine nominees to an accountability board tasked with ensuring the success of the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future education reforms on Wednesday, but one lawmaker contends that they do not
- Baltimore opens 1st new Catholic school in about 60 years
- > Sep 1, 12:20 PM: The first new Catholic school built in Baltimore in roughly 60 years opened its doors Monday to hundreds of youngsters, who entered the gleaming new building with a mix of enthusiasm and first-day-back jitters.
- In-person learning returns as enrollment ticks upward in Archdiocese of Baltimore schools
- > Aug 30, 11:48 AM: Following an unprecedented academic year that challenged Catholic educators to embrace a hybrid approach to learning – partly in person and partly via videoconferencing – Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Baltimore
- Thousands of Maryland students left public schools last year amid COVID. Will they return this fall?
- > Aug 20, 3:46 PM: An analysis of data by The Baltimore Sun and Big Local News shows that the state lost 27,000 children between September 2020 and September 2021, at a time when enrollment had been projected to grow. Schools in rural areas
- Charles Co. schools offering online classes to more grades this fall
- Aug 17, 4:48 PM: Eligible high school students were already able to apply to take part in virtual classes this fall. Now, students entering kindergarten through eighth grade are getting that chance.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%