- N.O. 500 Survey: What’s Working and What Isn’t at NOLA Public Schools?
As part of her 100-day plan, new NOLA Public Schools Superintendent Avis Williams has been asking members of the community what they think is working in the city’s schools and what needs to change. We posed the question >
Aug 12, 10:03 AM:
- Other states have passed school choice programs. Could Louisiana be next under a new governor?
Across the country, a growing number of states are setting up state-funded education savings accounts, or ESAs, to give more students education opportunities outside of public schools. This year, Louisiana would have >
Aug 3, 7:54 AM:
- First charter school in St. Tammany, for students with dyslexia, prepares to open next month
Operated by LKA Baton Rouge, which is entering into its ninth year, the school for dyslexic students will open its doors at a new location near the intersection of U.S 190 and North Collins Boulevard in Covington on Aug. >
Jul 21, 7:48 AM:
- Education savings account bills dead as Louisiana lawmakers decide not to reconvene for veto session
- > Jul 14, 9:28 AM: Louisiana legislative leaders have officially called off a veto override session for 2022, leaving in place the governor’s rejection of proposals to boost school choice, improve election integrity and protect religious
- Louisiana's Edwards vetoes bill that would allow state board of education to approve charters
A veto of legislation to allow charter schools approved by the state board of education, rather than local school boards, was one of numerous bills from the 2022 regular legislative session recently approved or rejected >
Jun 29, 10:09 AM:
- Audit: Teachers in New Orleans are less likely to be certified
- Jun 8, 10:08 AM: Teachers in Orleans Parish are over four times more likely to be uncertified than teachers throughout Louisiana, according to a recent report from the Louisiana Legislative Auditor.
- Students with reading problems could use state aid for private schools under newly passed bill
- Jun 7, 8:34 AM: A bill that would allow second and third graders reading below grade level to leave public schools and take $5,400 in annual state aid with them won final approval Monday.
- State money will follow students reading below grade level
Louisiana could soon give parents and guardians of students struggling to read the option to pull them out of public school and provide them money for private school or homeschooling.
Jun 7, 8:11 AM:
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana charter schools managed by CMOs outperform other public schools
Baton Rouge students that were in charter schools run by charter management organizations outperformed students from traditional school districts within the city in reading and math, according to a study.>
Jun 2, 8:28 AM:
- In historic move, Orleans Parish School Board names Avis Williams as next schools superintendent
- > Mar 31, 6:02 AM: After a monthslong, nationwide search, the Orleans Parish School Board has selected Avis Williams to be the next leader of New Orleans public schools. The board will now enter contract negotiations with Williams and plans
- Louisiana legislature considers bills to expand educational options for public school parents
- Mar 28, 6:18 AM: Louisiana lawmakers filed several bills for the 2022 legislative session that would give families more freedom in choosing a fitting educational plan for their children.
- Here are the three finalists for New Orleans public schools superintendent
- Mar 23, 6:06 AM: After more than four hours of private discussion, the Orleans Parish School Board picked three finalists Tuesday night for superintendent of schools: Marshall Tuck, Avis Williams and André Wright.
- This school helps students with intellectual disabilities 'live their fullest lives'
- > Mar 14, 8:44 AM: The school grew out of a program at Abramson Sci Academy, and was granted its own charter in 2019. It's the only tuition-free program of its kind in the New Orleans area, and one of few across Louisiana. Last year the
- How to tackle teacher shortage? Some lawmakers say retirees could ease the problem
- Mar 14, 8:20 AM: Louisiana's teacher shortage is growing more urgent, and some state lawmakers want to try to lure retired teachers back to the classroom by offering more money.
- Advocates praise proposed bills allowing Louisiana families to pick schools, receive aid
- Mar 8, 9:34 AM: Officials of two groups Monday praised the push to revamp Louisiana public schools by allowing students to leave classrooms and take the state portion of annual aid with them.
- Push to remake public schools on legislative agenda: 'Intended to empower parents'
- Mar 7, 7:12 AM: Ten years after the Louisiana Legislature approved sweeping changes in public schools, a new drive is underway that would allow students to opt out of classrooms – and take the state money with them.
- Baker city leaders upset over new charter school, considering lawsuit
- Feb 24, 6:57 AM: The BESE Board last month approved a new charter school that will open in 2023, but Mayor Waites said a new school is the last thing they need.
- School enrollment down in Louisiana, Orleans Parish
- > Feb 15, 9:47 AM: NOLA Public Schools’ enrollment dropped from 45,022 students last spring to 43,982 students in the state’s latest official enrollment count, tallied in October and recently released. Those 1,040 students represent roughly
- Upset over a new charter school in Baker, city leaders petition public, consider lawsuit
- Feb 14, 10:05 AM: Baker leaders aren't giving up even though the state approved a charter school last month to open there in 2023 despite their objections, and they may file a lawsuit to try and stop it.
- Is it time to end the all-charter school experiment in New Orleans?
- > Feb 10, 10:02 AM: Experiments in education are written into Louisiana state law to allow for charter schools, and innovative ways to improve education. But a 2021 Legislative audit and 2016 Stanford study show charters in New Orleans have
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%