- In historic move, Orleans Parish School Board names Avis Williams as next schools superintendent
- > Mar 31, 6:02 AM: After a monthslong, nationwide search, the Orleans Parish School Board has selected Avis Williams to be the next leader of New Orleans public schools. The board will now enter contract negotiations with Williams and plans
- Louisiana legislature considers bills to expand educational options for public school parents
- Mar 28, 6:18 AM: Louisiana lawmakers filed several bills for the 2022 legislative session that would give families more freedom in choosing a fitting educational plan for their children.
- Here are the three finalists for New Orleans public schools superintendent
- Mar 23, 6:06 AM: After more than four hours of private discussion, the Orleans Parish School Board picked three finalists Tuesday night for superintendent of schools: Marshall Tuck, Avis Williams and André Wright.
- This school helps students with intellectual disabilities 'live their fullest lives'
- > Mar 14, 8:44 AM: The school grew out of a program at Abramson Sci Academy, and was granted its own charter in 2019. It's the only tuition-free program of its kind in the New Orleans area, and one of few across Louisiana. Last year the
- How to tackle teacher shortage? Some lawmakers say retirees could ease the problem
- Mar 14, 8:20 AM: Louisiana's teacher shortage is growing more urgent, and some state lawmakers want to try to lure retired teachers back to the classroom by offering more money.
- Advocates praise proposed bills allowing Louisiana families to pick schools, receive aid
- Mar 8, 9:34 AM: Officials of two groups Monday praised the push to revamp Louisiana public schools by allowing students to leave classrooms and take the state portion of annual aid with them.
- Push to remake public schools on legislative agenda: 'Intended to empower parents'
- Mar 7, 7:12 AM: Ten years after the Louisiana Legislature approved sweeping changes in public schools, a new drive is underway that would allow students to opt out of classrooms – and take the state money with them.
- Baker city leaders upset over new charter school, considering lawsuit
- Feb 24, 6:57 AM: The BESE Board last month approved a new charter school that will open in 2023, but Mayor Waites said a new school is the last thing they need.
- School enrollment down in Louisiana, Orleans Parish
- > Feb 15, 9:47 AM: NOLA Public Schools’ enrollment dropped from 45,022 students last spring to 43,982 students in the state’s latest official enrollment count, tallied in October and recently released. Those 1,040 students represent roughly
- Upset over a new charter school in Baker, city leaders petition public, consider lawsuit
- Feb 14, 10:05 AM: Baker leaders aren't giving up even though the state approved a charter school last month to open there in 2023 despite their objections, and they may file a lawsuit to try and stop it.
- Is it time to end the all-charter school experiment in New Orleans?
- > Feb 10, 10:02 AM: Experiments in education are written into Louisiana state law to allow for charter schools, and innovative ways to improve education. But a 2021 Legislative audit and 2016 Stanford study show charters in New Orleans have
- Senator Bill Cassidy speaks out in favor of school choice
- Feb 9, 9:42 AM: Could parents soon choose any school in the state to send their child to? Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy says it could be a way to improve education in Louisiana.
- New charter schools aim to enroll thousands of kids from all over the Baton Rouge region
- > Jan 24, 8:51 AM: The expansion of charter schools in East Baton Rouge Parish, briefly paused by the pandemic, got a fresh shot of adrenaline this past week as state education leaders approved three new charter school applications over the
- Education leaders hope new dual enrollment portal will help overhaul the high school experience
- Jan 24, 8:47 AM: State education leaders are launching a new push to widen access to high school classes for college credit, including Black students who make up a small portion of those enrolled today.
- Charter school for students with dyslexia will open in St. Tammany after BESE vote
- > Jan 20, 9:40 AM: A charter school for students with dyslexia is coming to St. Tammany Parish following a state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education vote to approve it, a first for a parish that has not had any charter schools.
- Learning French changed her life; now she shares that gift at immersion charter school
- > Jan 18, 7:55 AM: Now she takes her immersion experience and passion for French with her to work every day as principal of École Saint-Landry. The French immersion charter school in Sunset opened in August inside the former First Baptist
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School to start Criminal Justice Academy
- > Jan 18, 7:52 AM: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School has announced it will start a first-of-its-kind Criminal Justice Academy to educate students about the criminal justice system thanks to a $55,000 youth workforce development grant
- Laura Cassidy: The Key To Education Success Through Covid? School Autonomy
- > Jan 14, 10:14 AM: There are things that leaders and educators can do when they have the flexibility and freedom to serve students. The lack of such autonomy in traditional public education is at the root of why hundreds of thousands of
- Our Views: St. Tammany students with dyslexia deserve charter school consideration
- > Jan 14, 9:03 AM: Students learn with different types of approaches, especially when they have different types of abilities. That’s an important reason the Louisiana Key Academy wants to open a charter school for students with dyslexia in
- Baton Rouge teacher union demands schools go virtual because of COVID, calls for shutdown
- > Jan 12, 6:38 AM: A teacher union in Baton Rouge is trying to shut down public schools in town Wednesday after the local school district failed to agree to demands to shift immediately to virtual instruction districtwide and return to
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%