- Editorial: New charter school should build upon, not duplicate, local workforce training programs
- Feb 10, 10:07 AM: A new charter school at Santa Fe College should be used to fill in gaps in local workforce training programs, building upon existing efforts to help students gain credentials in high-demand fields.
- With state sanctions in mind, Hillsborough renews 4 charter schools
- Feb 9, 9:39 AM: Chastened by the state last summer, the Hillsborough County School Board approved four charter school renewals on Tuesday even as some members complained about having to do so.
- New charter school in Lakewood Ranch promises an education for the ‘whole child’
- Feb 7, 10:00 AM: The new charter school, 5550 White Eagle Blvd. in Lakewood Ranch near Bradenton Florida, is expected to open its first classroom facility in August 2022.
- Citing school district in ‘freefall,’ Florida lawmakers pitch $5 million parachute
- Feb 3, 10:12 AM: A Senate education committee on Wednesday delivered a message of solidarity to the struggling Jefferson County school system as it comes off of five years of charter school control.
- DeSantis announces new vocational charter school at Miami-Dade College, other workforce training
- Feb 3, 10:00 AM: Gov. Ron DeSantis announced $89 million for career and technical education Wednesday, saying such programs allow graduates to immediately get jobs in technical fields in Florida’s expanding economy.
- OCPS students must attend class or become homeschoolers; adult mask mandate on-campus extended
- Feb 1, 6:55 AM: Orange County Public School students who’ve been doing school work from home because of the recent COVID-19 case surge need to become official homeschoolers or return to campus starting Monday.
- A bill targeting union membership in Florida is getting pushback...again
- > Jan 31, 9:14 AM: A Republican proposal would make changes to public employee unions in Florida. Under the bill, workers would no longer be allowed to have dues deducted from their paychecks. Members would have to pay them directly to their
- Miami’s school-choice partnership will strengthen Florida’s tech economy | Opinion
- > Jan 31, 6:36 AM: Florida’s future rests on the rights of parents to choose what schools best fit the needs of their children. We believe that parents, not administrators, should hold the power to decide and to determine where, when, and at
- Residents of Cape Coral voicing their opinion on the use of electricity taxes to pay charter school debt
- Jan 28, 8:21 AM: Electric bills are going up in Southwest Florida’s largest city to pay off charter school debt, but many Cape Coral residents are not happy about it.
- Erika Donalds talks school choice, charter school innovation during National School Choice Week
- Jan 28, 7:05 AM: Donalds continues to branch out into more areas of choice—most recently, launching a virtual charter school to bring Virtual Reality into more homes.
- Florida GOP lawmakers vow to expand school choice at Capitol rally in Tallahassee
- > Jan 27, 8:34 AM: Lawmakers touted the success of last year's session when they changed the parameters for the Family Empowerment Scholarship. Its income eligibility was adjusted to $100,000 for a family of four. Family Empowerment
- Analysis: Black Student Enrollment Is Up in Florida Schools of Choice — & So Is Academic Achievement
A new report, “Controlling the Narrative: Parental Choice, Black Empowerment & Lessons from Florida” — a joint effort among Black Minds Matter, the American Federation for Children and Step Up for Students — analyzes the >
Jan 26, 9:32 AM:
- Charter school bill unanimously passes second House committee
- > Jan 20, 9:38 AM: The measure (HB 225), sponsored by St. Cloud Republican Rep. Fred Hawkins, would require school boards to renew — or not renew —charter schools at least 90 days before the school year ends. Otherwise, the charter would
- Virtual reality charter school shows off technology at digital launch event
- > Jan 7, 6:34 AM: At a virtual press conference, Donalds — through a 3-D rendered avatar — said this type of virtual instruction will be unlike anything students have experienced, whether during the pandemic or before it.
- Pasco schools enlist an unlikely ally to help keep up with growth — charters
- Jan 5, 7:37 AM: As new home developments continue to boom across Pasco County, the local school district barely can keep up with the demand for seats.
- Pasco expands school choice with new magnet programs
- Jan 5, 6:49 AM: Pasco County parents will have new choices for the children's education as the district adds three new magnet schools in the fall.
- To close achievement gap, statewide program will deliver free books to millions of students
- Dec 21, 9:02 AM: A statewide program is getting books into the hands of millions of children.
- Cape Coral approves new Oasis charter schools lease
- Dec 17, 6:54 AM: Cape Coral City Council unanimously approved a five-year agreement to lease city buildings to Oasis charter schools, reflecting a new hands-on approach for the charter school system.
- World’s first virtual reality charter school, Optima Domi, launching in Naples
- Dec 16, 8:54 AM: School choice advocate Erika Donalds-led Optima Domi announced it is launching the world’s first virtual reality charter school.
- Following federal scrutiny, FL education officials returned $878,000 to certain local school boards
- > Dec 14, 9:29 AM: After several months of legal challenges, state sanctions, and a special session that outlawed strict mask mandates in public schools, the Florida Department of Education returned $877,851 in state funds to eight school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Northwest Florida Daily News 100%
- The Deland-Deltona Beacon 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jacksonville Business Journal - Online 0%
- West Orlando News Online 0%