- Denver board votes to limit school autonomy, bolster teacher job protections
- Mar 28, 6:23 AM: In a split vote, the Denver school board approved a controversial proposal late Thursday that will limit some schools’ autonomy in an effort to shore up teacher job protections.
- House committee advances bill that would impose charter school moratorium
- Mar 25, 8:27 AM: A bill that would establish a moratorium on charter schools in New Castle County was advanced by the Delaware House Education Committee on Wednesday.
- New Castle County charter school moratorium bill passes House Education Committee
- Mar 24, 8:07 AM: A bill that would create a moratorium on new or modified charter schools in New Castle County passed a contentious House Education Committee meeting Wednesday.
- Freire Charter School withdraws application for Newark campus
- > Mar 23, 6:04 AM: "As we withdraw our application today, we ask that you join us in realigning so that the 'us' versus 'them' feeling dissolves and we can work together to provide the strongest education possible for every Delaware
- Battle brewing over proposed charter school moratorium
- > Mar 23, 5:23 AM: What seemed like an unlikely battle over charter schools last month has suddenly turned into a blistering war of words, with the next skirmish likely to occur Wednesday afternoon in Dover, when the House Education
- Bill on charter admission draws lively opinions
- Mar 14, 5:47 AM: Two Black Wilmington leaders stand on opposite sides of the debate over whether Delaware Charter Schools should be able to give admission preference to students who live nearby.
- Newark-area charter schools push back against calls for moratorium
- Feb 24, 6:45 AM: Local charter schools are pushing back against the Christina School District’s call for a moratorium on new charter schools and the expansion of existing ones.
- Delaware charter schools still offer a bold path forward for our kids | Opinion
- > Feb 14, 9:48 AM: The original plan was to have a few charter schools to model a new way of operating that, eventually, would be adopted by all public schools and replace the existing system of school boards and education bureaucracies.
- Christina School Board officially opposes the creation of Freire Charter School
- > Feb 10, 10:10 AM: Freire Charter School is undergoing the application process to the Department of Education to establish a high school on Chapman Road near Newark. Freire, which started in Philadelphia in 1999 and also has a school in
- Charter school applications seek new schools in New Castle and Sussex Counties
- > Feb 7, 10:01 AM: The State Department of Education began its review process for two proposed charter schools this week and one of the applications is already showing signs of reviving the recurring battle between charters and traditional
- Christina School District calls for moratorium on new charter schools
- Jan 28, 8:16 AM: The Christina School District is calling for a temporary moratorium on new charter schools and the expansion of existing charters.
- Freire Charter School proposes a Newark-area high school
- > Dec 23, 7:51 AM: Freire Charter School, which started in Philadelphia in 1999, also has a school in Wilmington. The school is focused on preparing students for college, targeting students who may not have the financial means to go to a
- Honors academy drawing students to stay in Christina School District
- > Dec 17, 8:57 AM: According to data provided by the Delaware Department of Education, total enrollment in Christina’s four traditional middle schools decreased 20 percent – equating to roughly 720 fewer students – between 2010 and 2015.
- Christina School District to continue learning pod partnership with United Way
- > Dec 2, 6:46 AM: United Way has helped create learning pods across the state, a necessity as test scores plummeted from 2019 to 2021.The number of students in poverty who were proficient in math fell from 37 percent to 14 percent.
- Charter School of Wilmington celebrates 25 years
- Nov 29, 8:47 AM: The Charter School of Wilmington, which makes U.S. News & World Report's ranking of the best high schools in America each year, is celebrating 25 years.
- Chemours launches science partnership program with $4 million pledge for EastSide Charter center
- > Nov 9, 8:52 AM: Chemours will invest in middle schools in less affluent areas in its footprint communities worldwide to ensure that younger students are exposed to STEM education. Research shows that proficiency and interest in STEM are
- Learning pods, microschools planned to take kids out of state schools
- Aug 20, 3:09 PM: A group of Delawareans upset about the state’s school mask mandate are working to create alternative education methods for students.
- Bus driver shortage prompts Delaware school to offer cash incentive for parents to drive kids
- Aug 18, 1:06 PM: Schools in our area are dealing with a bus driver shortage, and it's a problem across the country. One school in Delaware is hoping they've found a solution to the issue.
- Two charter schools get green light to expand
- May 28, 7:12 AM: A pair of charter schools become the latest to gain approval to expand by adding grades.
- 'The Next Normal': Rethinking summer learning through an equitable lens | Opinion
- > May 6, 6:20 AM: We must take a hard look at our summer schools and programs, their purpose and design them in a way that puts student learning unapologetically front and center. At Freire Charter School Wilmington, we are pushing
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Delaware Online 58%
- Dover Post 50%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- News Journal 33%
- Associated Press (AP) - Dover Bureau 33%