- Editorial: Californians need more transparency over school district salaries
- > Dec 7, 9:28 AM: For the last several years, California’s cities and counties have been required to send their payroll information to the state controller, who posts it on a public website. Such transparency helps Californians keep up with
- L.A. families want schools reimagined post-pandemic, report says
- Dec 7, 7:00 AM: A new report out Tuesday, Dec. 7, suggests that most Los Angeles families want school leaders to reimagine public education and to not simply return to the old ways of doing things post-pandemic.
- Orange County charter seeks hall pass from county education board to ditch local approvals
- > Dec 6, 8:52 AM: When the Orange County Classical Academy came before the Orange Unified Board of Education in December 2019 seeking a charter to operate a K-5 school that would offer 360 students a classical education curriculum, it was a
- San Diego County district plans to offer in-person classes for unvaccinated students
- Dec 6, 6:43 AM: The district is creating a learning option called Alpine Choice Academy, where unvaccinated students can learn together at an off-campus location, getting instruction from district teachers.
- Editorial: California education dollars must be targeted for real change
- Nov 30, 6:50 AM: It’s been eight years since then-Gov. Jerry Brown restructured California’s school funding formulas to direct billions of dollars to the state’s neediest students.
- A California Attempt to Repair the Crumbling Pillar of U.S. Education
Public-school education has gone from bad to worse. In the Chicago Public Schools, only 26% of 11th-graders were at grade level in reading and math in 2019. Remarkably, the school system had a record-high graduation rate >
Nov 29, 9:16 AM:
- LAUSD nears a choice on next superintendent
- Nov 29, 6:42 AM: Before the end of the year, Los Angeles school board members intend to announce the most consequential decision of their tenure — the hiring of a new superintendent.
- About 44,000 LAUSD students miss first vaccine deadline and risk losing in-person classes
- > Nov 24, 8:48 AM: Close to 80% of students in the Los Angeles Unified School District are on track to comply with a COVID-19 vaccine mandate, school district officials announced Monday, raising concerns about the potential for thousands to
- Napa school district recommends rejecting Mayacamas charter school plan; board to vote Dec. 9
- Nov 24, 6:52 AM: Napa’s public school system should not accept a petition to open the Mayacamas Charter Middle School next year, school district staff said in a report issued Monday night.
- Hiring shortages and COVID complicate schools’ year of recovery
- > Nov 23, 6:53 AM: Federal and state leaders have poured hundreds of millions of dollars into schools so they can expand academic programs, hire new staff and increase mental health and other services for students. But teachers say it has
- ‘Bigger than sports’: Former Steelers safety Robert Golden starts school in Fresno
- > Nov 22, 9:57 AM: Golden, who spent six seasons as a safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers before retiring in 2018, founded a tuition-free charter school in his hometown to service the underprivileged children of the southwest Fresno
- Opinion: 'Achievement gap’ still plagues California schools
- > Nov 22, 8:45 AM: Then-Gov. Jerry Brown and the Legislature overhauled California’s public school financing in 2013 with the stated goal of closing the “achievement gap” separating poor and English-learner students from more privileged
- Proposed California Ballot Measure Would Give Parents ‘Legal Standing’ to Sue for Better Schools as Right-to-Education Efforts Spread
- > Nov 18, 10:44 AM: Californians could vote next year on whether students should have a constitutional right to a high-quality education, potentially opening the door to litigation from parents dissatisfied with their children’s schools.
- Holt: Under new pilot program, tutoring providers will get paid only if students succeed. It could change how districts and vendors do business
- > Nov 18, 6:57 AM: Last fall, seven school districts and eight tutoring providers came together in a virtual summit run by the Harvard University Center for Education Policy Research. The goal was to see if representatives of two sides of
- State Initiative Would Offer True School Choice For All
- > Nov 17, 10:33 AM: The California public school system is currently sinking like the Titanic. A couple of decades ago California public schools were some of the best in the country. But those days are long gone. The last two years have been
- LAUSD Board Members Look to Expand COVID Vaccine Mandate to Charters
- > Nov 17, 9:46 AM: On a day they heard an earful from parents upset about a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for students, members of the Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education asked today that the district explore expanding the
- School chief cashes out leave, becomes California’s top paid
- > Nov 16, 10:06 AM: The head of a Southern California school district is the state’s highest paid K-12 administrator for the third year in a row after taking advantage of various perks, including one that allows him to cash out sick time that
- Petition for charter school focused on equity, inclusion denied by Petaluma City Schools board
- > Nov 16, 7:33 AM: A proposed 600-student charter school centered on equity and inclusion was rejected Monday after Petaluma City Schools leaders concluded school organizers didn’t understand the charter process, couldn’t resolve key
- How will California districts spend $13.6 billion in federal Covid relief?
- > Nov 15, 9:54 AM: These are some common themes in the plans that California school districts and charter schools have adopted for spending a huge amount from the latest round of federal Covid aid: $13.6 billion from the American Rescue Plan
- Former Senate Leader Gloria Romero Joins Fix California Initiative for School Choice Funding
- > Nov 15, 6:03 AM: Ric Grenell, founder of Fix California, who served as Ambassador to Germany and Acting Director of National Intelligence, announced Friday that former California State Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero has endorsed Fix
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Salinas Californian - Online, The 100%
- California Watch 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- T.H.E. Journal - Online 0%
- Paso Robles Press - Online 0%