- Rutherford County school board approves one charter school, denies another
At its July 18 meeting, the board voted 5-2 to approve Empower Academy, a K-8 tuition-free public charter school, and voted 6-1 to deny American Classical Academy.
Jul 21, 7:36 AM:
- Charter school will expand to old Diggs School
Now in its 20th year, the charter school announced its expansion on Tuesday. It will lease about 14,000 square feet from Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, which still owns the former Diggs Elementary.
Jul 21, 7:23 AM:
- Eighth-graders at Success Academy pass majority of Regents
- Jul 19, 7:56 AM: The roughly 1,000 students at Success Academy middle schools took and aced four of the five Regent exams required for a high school diploma in New York, The Post has learned.
- Here’s what charter enrollment numbers tell about Black students
- Jul 19, 7:53 AM: During the pandemic, we’ve seen an exodus of teachers from public schools, but it turns out educators aren’t the only ones ditching traditional K-12 education institutions.
- Charter Schools Win a Washington Battle
- > Jul 18, 8:20 AM: Congratulations are in order to thousands of public charter-school parents, educators and advocates who lifted their voices in opposition to the U.S. Education Department’s proposed changes to the federal Charter School Program.
- Opinion | Those destroying public schools don’t want you thinking about alternatives
- Jul 18, 8:14 AM: Public schools are in a serious downward spiral. The options are fixing them, which hasn’t worked for decades, or letting parents get their kids out.
- Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy nearly two-thirds of the way toward raising $25 mil for new school
- Jul 18, 8:10 AM: The development, which still needs city approval from Milwaukee's Board of Zoning Appeals, would add space for hundreds more students in the high-demand charter school.
- School board says opening charter schools would ‘create competition’
- > Jul 18, 7:56 AM: Originally, proposals for four different charter schools to be located in Adams County were submitted to the Mississippi Charter School Authorization Board for consideration, but only one has made it to the final stage of the
- Schenectady planners OK charter school
- > Jul 18, 7:53 AM: After ironing out some safety concerns around student pickup and drop-off, a proposal to open a charter school in the downtown area recently won approval from city planners, and now must obtain a certificate of occupancy before it
- Epic Charter School: Merger creates new name for Oklahoma’s biggest school system
- > Jul 14, 9:23 AM: A consolidation of the virtual charter school's two branches became official Wednesday. Epic's school board voted unanimously to merge Epic One-on-One, an online-only learning platform, with Epic Blended Charter, which incorporates
- D.C. school enrollment expected to drop after years of increases
- Jul 14, 9:17 AM: The shift is driven by declining birthrates and people leaving the city or changing schools during the pandemic, study finds
- Teachers Union Sues to Keep School Closed
- > Jul 13, 7:27 AM: During the pandemic, teachers unions fought to keep schools closed and thereby deprive students of a meaningful education. Now, the United Federation of Teachers is suing to keep shuttered a school in the Bronx, as recently
- There Are New Rules Governing Federal Grants For Charter Schools. What Difference Will They Make?
Earlier this year the Biden administration proposed a tighter set of regulations for the program. Charter advocates pushed back against the proposal. Now, after months of wrangling, the final version of the regulations has been >
Jul 12, 9:01 AM:
- Five charter schools move to final stage of application process
- Jul 12, 8:39 AM: On Monday, the Charter School Authorizer Board voted to advance the proposed schools, and voted against the remaining five that did not meet a majority of the required application criteria.
- A Small Victory for School Choice
- Jul 11, 7:23 AM: A concerted effort by committed parents, educators, and elected officials kept the Biden administration from unduly restricting charter schools.
- Charter advocates worry about new Biden admin regulations
- Jul 8, 9:10 AM: Charter school advocates are concerned that new public charter school regulations from the Biden administration will harm students and families.
- ‘We do not wish to participate in media frenzies’: Tennessee charter school cuts ties with Hillsdale
- Jul 8, 9:05 AM: A Chattanooga charter school and Hillsdale College have parted ways amid the fallout from controversial remarks by the Michigan college's president in front of Gov. Bill Lee.
- Charter School Foundation awards scholarships
- > Jul 8, 9:03 AM: The Charter School of Morgan Hill Foundation has awarded scholarships to graduating high school students who are alumni of the Charter School of Morgan Hill, for use in their pursuit of undergraduate degrees at their chosen
- Tale of two charters: One Clarksville school sees recommendation, another doesn’t after review
- Jul 8, 8:56 AM: A charter school is one step closer to opening in the Clarksville-Montgomery County School System while a second is running out of options.
- Albany Leadership Charter School for Girls to expand
- Jul 8, 8:52 AM: A big expansion is on the way for Albany Leadership Charter School for Girls. The school has acquired the building that’s been home to Bishop Maginn High School.