- Examining Tennessee’s Landscape of Charter Schools
The Tennessee Nature Academy’s supporters gathered for a party following the July 25 meeting of the Metro Nashville Public Schools board. Sure, their charter application had been rejected by a board vote of 5-4, but this was just >
Aug 2, 10:29 AM:
- In new school year, some Indianapolis charter schools grow
Since opening its first Englewood campus in 2017, Purdue Polytechnic has grown from just 140 freshmen to over 600 students on that campus alone, Executive Director Scott Bess said. The north campus at Broad Ripple High School, >
Aug 2, 10:25 AM:
- Vallejo, Richmond charter school workers form rare union with IWW
A charter school network with schools in both Vallejo and Richmond recognized a new union of faculty and support staff earlier this year, one of few charter schools to form a union in California and the first in the U.S. to be >
Jul 28, 10:17 AM:
- Pitbull’s SLAM charter school opens next month in Tempe
SLAM Arizona is a tuition-free, public charter school that will begin by offering grades kindergarten through 5th grade. After that it will change to grades K-12.
Jul 28, 10:14 AM:
- The Benefits of Charter Schools
Charter schools are completely unique in their approach to education, and they are significantly more beneficial to children than public or private schools.
Jul 28, 9:53 AM:
- Pointers look to open public charter school
A group of local residents is making plans to open a public charter school in the area in time for the 2023-24 school year.
Jul 28, 9:47 AM:
- Harmony Public Schools Offering Virtual Option For K-12
Harmony Public Schools will offer a full virtual learning option to DFW students in kindergarten through Grade 12 when the 2022-23 school year begins in August.
Jul 27, 8:17 AM:
- One charter school wins Memphis school board approval
The Memphis-Shelby County Schools board on Tuesday approved just one of four charter school applications for the 2023-24 school year.
Jul 27, 8:09 AM:
- Students from Brass City Charter School shadows health care professionals at St. Mary’s
A group of students are seeing the operations at St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury.
The students were shadowing all kinds of health care workers and are seeing demonstrations first-hand.
Jul 27, 8:07 AM:
- Supporting teachers, new charter school on Metro school board agenda
Metro Nashville’s school board will join others in standing up for public school teachers. Board members will vote on a resolution during a special-called meeting Monday to let teachers know they’re supported.
Jul 26, 8:54 AM:
- School choice debate in Alabama continues ahead of school year
As Tennessee becomes the latest state to implement a school voucher program, some state officials say it’s time for Alabama to do the same. LEAD Academy in Montgomery is one of Alabama’s 13 charter schools set to open its doors >
Jul 26, 8:51 AM:
- Education notebook: Edge grants, charter school meeting, school supplies and more
The Oklahoma State Department of Education is awarding $8.4 million in Edge grants to 87 schools across 32 districts to enhance school improvement programs, it announced Tuesday.
Jul 25, 10:08 AM:
- The fallout over Hillsdale College, charter schools and Tennessee school districts, explained.
Three proposed charter schools sponsored by Hillsdale-affiliated charter management organization, American Classical Education, were rejected by Tennessee school boards.
Jul 25, 10:04 AM:
- Founders Classical Academy wants to operate in Williamson County: ‘We’re not Hillsdale’
A spokesperson for ResponsiveEd, the charter management organization for Founders Classical Academy, said the partnership between its company and Hillsdale College ended in mid-2021.
Jul 22, 10:33 AM:
- Autism-focused charter school expands to West Valley
The Arizona Autism Charter School celebrated the grand opening of its Peoria campus Thursday. The school officially opens its doors on Aug. 1.
Jul 22, 10:31 AM:
- State shutdown of Newark charter school leaves families in financial lurch
The recent state closure of University Heights Charter School, a network of three Newark schools that enrolled about 600 students, upended short- and long-term plans for hundreds of families.
Jul 22, 10:26 AM:
- Epic Charter School board leader to resign
Paul Campbell said he is stepping down from the volunteer position on Friday to dedicate more time to family, his business and another charter school he leads, The Academy of Seminole.
Jul 22, 10:22 AM:
- First charter school in St. Tammany, for students with dyslexia, prepares to open next month
Operated by LKA Baton Rouge, which is entering into its ninth year, the school for dyslexic students will open its doors at a new location near the intersection of U.S 190 and North Collins Boulevard in Covington on Aug. 11, >
Jul 21, 7:48 AM:
- Enrollment down in traditional NYC public schools, as charters grow
While traditional public schools continue to “hemorrhage” students, New York City charter schools have seen increases in enrollment, a new study has found.
Jul 21, 7:41 AM:
- Gov. Lee addresses charter schools, education in Tennessee
“There’s a lot of conversation about other people’s words,” Governor Lee said. “There are a lot of folks who actually don’t want choice for families and for parents, and there’s a lot of pushback on that.” >
Jul 21, 7:38 AM: