- Carson v. Makin Puts Religion and Charter Schools on the Table in Connecticut
- > Jun 27, 8:27 AM: A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision requiring states to extend funding for private school vouchers to include religious schools will not immediately affect Connecticut, but has the potential to reshape the state’s charter schools
- US Supreme Court decision could affect private school funding debate, court case in Michigan
A U.S. Supreme Court decision Tuesday in a school choice case from Maine could play a role in the Michigan debate over private and public school funding. A divided court held that states offering subsidies to private schools >
Jun 22, 8:48 AM:
- Harris Poll: Education Political Driver for Parents Ahead of Midterm Elections
A survey of more than 5,000 parents released today found education ranks high among their concerns ahead of the critical midterm elections — and that 82% would vote for someone outside their party if the candidate’s education >
Jun 21, 9:31 AM:
- Epic Charter Schools creating dual-language immersion academy
An Epic Charter Schools site is on the cusp of becoming Oklahoma City’s new dual-language immersion school, promising an academic career in English and Spanish from early childhood to high school.
Jun 21, 9:17 AM:
- Students Can’t Afford Ignoring Charter School Progress (Opinion)
- > Jun 21, 9:14 AM: Proposed updates to the Charter School Program that could severely limit the growth of high-quality charter schools go against a growing body of research that proves charter schools are leading students to superior academic
- NY charter schools sue U.S. Department of Education for refusing to pay federal grant funds
- Jun 21, 9:12 AM: A group of New York charter schools filed a federal lawsuit this month against the U.S. Department of Education for allegedly sweeping away nearly $1 million in promised Charter School Programs funding.
- Court Of Appeals: Charter Schools Are Public Schools, Must Follow The Same Rules…
- > Jun 16, 9:51 AM: The U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals just determined that North Carolina's Charter Day School violated the rights of female students by requiring them to wear skirts. That's a big deal, and there are other large issues at play
- How much did the pandemic cyber charter surge cost Pa. school districts? More than $12k per student
- > Jun 16, 9:49 AM: The pandemic enrollment surge in cyber charters cost Pennsylvania districts hundreds of millions of dollars — costs that could be magnified by the inability to predict whether some of those students will remain in virtual schools
- Survey: Majority of Coloradans hold a ‘favorable opinion’ about charter schools
- Jun 16, 9:39 AM: A majority of Coloradans hold a “favorable opinion” about charter schools in the state, part of a survey released on Friday found.
- Pa. Senate votes to block charter school regulations from taking effect
The Pennsylvania Senate on Wednesday passed a concurrent resolution that would block Gov. Tom Wolf’s regulatory changes to the state’s charter school law from taking effect.
Jun 16, 9:36 AM:
- Parents Flee The Public School System As Charter Schools See Surge In Enrollment
- Jun 9, 7:54 AM: Partial blame for the decline in public schools can be attributed to the pandemic; though the trends have been occurring for several years, the report claimed.
- Ocean Hill charter school introduces educator fellowship to curb teacher shortage
- Jun 9, 7:17 AM: A charter school in Ocean Hill is hoping to reverse the nationwide teacher shortage problem with a program to prepare college students for future teaching roles.
- Foxboro charter school grad focuses on seizing each day, helping to empower others
- Jun 9, 7:14 AM: Tayla Alfred has learned a lot in her career at the charter school in Foxboro. At least one of those lessons has been that not all maladies are visible.
- Public charter schools making enrollment progress in West Virginia
- > Jun 9, 6:50 AM: The West Virginia Professional Charter School Board met virtually Wednesday morning to receive updates on the progress of the state’s first two brick-and-mortar public charter schools and the first two statewide virtual public
- Charter School Focused On Construction Field Going Up In Sacramento
- Jun 8, 10:12 AM: The soon-to-be charter school wants to expose students to higher education, but if college isn’t an interest, you can explore jobs within the construction trade.
- What’s Behind the Fight Over the Biden Administration’s Stance on Charter School Funding
The Biden administration’s push to tighten the use of federal charter school aid continues to draw heat, with the U.S. Department of Education combing through more than 26,000 public comments on rules it proposed in March. >
Jun 7, 9:37 AM:
- Va. Gov. Youngkin hints at budget amendments on education, gas tax
- > Jun 7, 9:30 AM: For the first time in about a half century, this rural community on the Tennessee border has scrounged up what it needs to build a new elementary school to replace three moldy, leaking campuses that are well past their expiration
- The education group putting big money into this D.C. election cycle
- Jun 7, 9:28 AM: The group, often at odds with teachers’ unions, has historically backed candidates who support mayoral control of schools and those who would advocate for robust charter sectors.
- PSP no more: Philly education nonprofit changing its name, mission
- > Jun 7, 9:22 AM: The Philadelphia School Partnership is becoming Elevate 215, officials will announce Tuesday. The organization, which has raised $134 million since its founding in 2011, had focused on expanding the number of “high-quality seats”
- Local charter to partner with LIT for early college opportunities
High school students at Evolution Academy in Beaumont will now have the opportunity to earn college credits before they receive their diplomas.
Jun 7, 8:55 AM: