- National parents group sends Cardona list of COVID-related demands, asks for transparency on federal
- > Jan 20, 10:03 AM: A national parents group is asking the Biden administration to consider a series of measures designed to better prepare for pandemics like the coronavirus, as well as provide greater transparency into how federal relief dollars
- She taught in Charlotte for 30+ years. Now she says teachers should be re-educated
- > Jan 14, 9:32 AM: Retired Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) teachers are sharing their experiences and thoughts about the achievement gap between Black and White students in CMS. The gap in test scores has been present for years. North Carolina
- Opinion: Our Kids Are Behind in School. Here’s How to Help Them.
- Jan 11, 10:21 AM: School systems around the country may be facing a similar choice today, as the effects of Covid-related learning loss become clearer. Some advocates are already making a Katrina-like push to overhaul schools in big cities.
- Does Wyoming education prepare children for the future? Governor’s ‘RIDE’ advisory
- > Jan 11, 9:07 AM: Do you feel that the current way we educate children prepares them for the future?” That is one question members of the public are being asked to answer in a new survey from Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon’s Reimagining and Innovating
- Charleston County School Board stalls vote on controversial $31.6M Reimagine Schools proposal
- Jan 11, 8:59 AM: The Charleston County School Board further delayed a vote on a controversial proposal aimed at potentially improving 21 low-performing schools.
- COVID-19 surge exposes Mass. educational inequities in livestreaming classes
- > Jan 10, 9:22 AM: This may explain why just 39 of nearly 50,000 Boston public school students are enrolled in livestreaming even as COVID-19 cases surge. And that underscores the persistent inequities in education depending on where a child in
- Charleston Co. School Board to vote on ‘Reimagine Schools’ proposal
- > Jan 10, 9:04 AM: The ‘Reimagine Schools’ proposal from the non-profit Coastal Community Foundation would cost the school district around $32 million over the course of 10 years, the goal being to “close the student achievement gap and support
- Houston ISD is hiring 500 students and alumni as elementary school tutors to combat COVID setbacks
- Jan 7, 7:52 AM: Houston Independent School District is calling on students and alumni for help to address the loss of learning its elementary students suffered due to challenges from the pandemic.
- No Kentucky, our education system has not made that much progress
- > Jan 7, 6:53 AM: During legislative hearings today about Senate Bill 1, which makes important improvements to the state’s School Based Decision Making (SBDM) law, there were multiple mentions that Kentucky’s education system now ranks somewhere in
- Public schools are failing to teach kids to read and write: King Randall
- Jan 6, 9:42 AM: A 22-year-old education trailblazer who wants to create a charter school in Atlanta, Georgia, said the public school system is graduating kids who don't have basic literary skills Wednesday on "Fox News Primetime.
- Groups at odds over controversial proposal to ‘reimagine’ Charleston County schools
- > Jan 6, 7:31 AM: The concerns being raised include claims that CCF has little to no prior experience with school operations. Another is why CCSD would choose to utilize an outside party instead of funneling the money directly into the schools in
- California Department of Education Fails Black Children
- > Dec 29, 8:22 AM: In a state known for its progressivism, you may find it shocking that Black Californians live under a mandate that nothing in particular can be done for Black children in our public schools as a matter of law. This is true despite
- Opinion: Would Black Students Thrive With The Same Focus California Gives English Learners?
- Dec 23, 7:10 AM: In a state known for its progressivism, you may find it shocking that Black Californians live under a mandate that nothing in particular can be done for Black children in our public schools as a matter of law.
- Fed-Up Parents Want Education Reforms That Prepare Their Children For Life, Not Just College
- > Dec 22, 9:56 AM: As education continues to push its way through other issues to stay at the top of American voters’ minds, a recent survey found that parents are unhappy with the radicalized public education system and want to see reforms that
- To close achievement gap, statewide program will deliver free books to millions of students
- Dec 21, 9:02 AM: A statewide program is getting books into the hands of millions of children.
- Schools need teachers of color. This is how to retain them, educators say.
- Dec 20, 10:48 AM: A high school district in Phoenix boasts a diverse teaching staff. A key to their success? Listening to what teachers of color say they and their students need.
- Students in Majority-Black Schools Had Been 9 Months Behind Their White Peers. Now, the Gap Is 12
- > Dec 14, 10:06 AM: Students in majority-Black schools are now a full 12 months behind those in mostly white schools, widening the achievement gap by a third, according to a new analysis by McKinsey & Co. Overall, students are four months behind in
- ACT scores improve at LPS, but on-time graduation rate declines as disparities continue
- Dec 13, 8:48 AM: Last year's graduating seniors at Lincoln Public Schools scored better than their peers across Nebraska on the ACT for the second straight year despite the challenges of remote learning and staggered schedules.
- As feared, virtual education put a damper on public school performance
- Dec 13, 7:03 AM: As key test scores later showed, the sudden lurch to virtual education in public schools because of the pandemic was a jolt to students and teachers as well as parents.
- Less than 20% of Rochester’s Black, Hispanic students are proficient in math
- Dec 10, 6:09 AM: There are more than 2,600 Black students in Rochester's public school system, and only 17.2% of them are proficient in math. Hispanic students scored even lower, coming in at 15.8% proficient in math.