- State of Texas: Abbott pledge to push for school choice brings praise, concern
- > May 16, 9:48 AM: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s renewed push for school vouchers is a piece of his “parental rights” platform, which itself could be a signal of future political aspirations, according to a political science and communication
- Study shows decrease in students' learning proficiency
- Mar 31, 9:04 AM: Since the start of the pandemic, educators have been concerned about how the massive disruptions to in-person learning caused by social distancing measures may have hurt student learning.
- SC Senate approves allowing public money for private schools
- Mar 31, 8:55 AM: The South Carolina Senate late Wednesday gave key approval to a bill that would allow some poorer or disabled students taxpayer money to attend a private school or a public school outside their district.
- Teachers and Parents Hopeful About Technology Enhancements
- Mar 31, 8:22 AM: Though teachers have demanded in-class technological enhancements for years, the pandemic and subsequent pivot to virtual learning inspired a race to bridge resource gaps and ensure each student had a laptop.
- Opportunity Scholarship defenders boost case for moving challenge to three-judge panel
- > Mar 31, 8:05 AM: The legal fight over North Carolina’s Opportunity Scholarship Program focuses now on whether a single judge or a three-judge panel should hear the case. Lawyers for the state and the scholarships’ parent supporters have filed new
- Opinion: Pause HISD’s plan to centralize school funding
- > Mar 31, 8:02 AM: Houston’s school board needs to take the time the city deserves to see if consolidating budget power back to the top is the right way to go. As such, we respectfully call for the board to stand up for the community and ensure a full
- Fed Up, These Parents Sue Baltimore Public Schools
- > Mar 31, 6:12 AM: As in so many other places around the country, the public education system in Baltimore is failing the city’s children. Public schools have been failing American students for decades, but the issue is pronounced in Maryland’s
- In historic move, Orleans Parish School Board names Avis Williams as next schools superintendent
- > Mar 31, 6:02 AM: After a monthslong, nationwide search, the Orleans Parish School Board has selected Avis Williams to be the next leader of New Orleans public schools. The board will now enter contract negotiations with Williams and plans to make
- Charters vs magnets: West Louisville kids at the center of dueling 'school choice' ideas
- Mar 30, 9:32 AM: JCPS’ failings to equitably provide choice to west Louisville students is further driving a state push for charter schools.<
- W.Va. Treasurer’s Office says more than 1,100 non-public school vouchers awarded in first month of applications
There is an ongoing lawsuit against top state officials that could prevent the voucher money from ever reaching families. In that lawsuit, three parents of public school students argue that the vouchers violate the state >
Mar 30, 8:23 AM:
- Austin ISD seeks partnership with charter operator to turn around Mendez Middle School
- Mar 30, 8:18 AM: District leaders have used a state law that gives districts a pause from state penalties if they partner with a charter school or another entity to turn around.
- Kentucky's charter school bill gets final passage: Here's what happens next
- Mar 30, 8:14 AM: A controversial bill allowing charter schools in Kentucky got a final passage in Kentucky on Tuesday. House Bill 9 passed in the Senate 22 to 14.
- Texas schools won’t lose funding for attendance drops during the pandemic
- Mar 30, 7:56 AM: In Texas, schools are funded based on the number of students enrolled and the daily attendance on campus.
- Opinion: Kentucky ‘paralyzed’ by lack of parental school choice
- > Mar 30, 6:24 AM: Opponents of charter schools coming to Kentucky are pro-choice, after all. At least that’s how it appeared to a casual observer during a recent hourslong debate in the Kentucky House of Representatives over legislation funding these
- The reading gap between Black and white students in Florida is 29 points. It’s wider in some local districts
- > Mar 29, 9:23 AM: The data from the 2020-21 school year shows a gap of 29 percentage points between the reading levels of white and Black students across the state. And in Duval, St. Johns and Alachua county school districts, the gap is even
- WV awards private school vouchers, residents react
- Mar 29, 8:29 AM: More than 1,250 scholarships have been awarded to students across the Mountain State since March 1st to help them be able to attend private schools in the state.
- Teachers group files ethics complaint against Kentucky lawmaker after charter school bill vote
- Mar 29, 7:58 AM: An organization that advocates for public school teachers and other employees said Monday it filed an ethics complaint against a Northern Kentucky state lawmaker.
- Texas governor race: Beto O'Rourke makes push for education reform at town hall in El Paso
- Mar 29, 6:21 AM: Texas gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke discussed his vision for education reform Sunday at a town hall meeting at the El Paso Community Foundation as part of his ongoing “People of Texas” state tour.
- MacKenzie Scott gives Memphis Lift $1.5 million to open a parent resource center
- Mar 29, 6:19 AM: Memphis Lift, a parent advocacy group, will open a new parent resource center thanks to a $1.5 million grant from author and philanthropist MacKenzie Scott.